Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day...... And the winner is......

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY EVERYONE!

But first - AND THE WINNER IS.....
I know you probably think I have forgotten about the giveaway. I promise I haven't! It's been a crazy week at our house and everytime I went to sit down and post the winner, something else came up. So I have decided to make everyone who commented the winner!
So congratulations to the lucky 7:
MEG, ANGIE, JOLEEN, JILL, KARA, MINDY and KERRI!

You will all receive something from me in the very near future!
Thank you all for being a friend, example, influence and part of my life in some way!

and now - HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
My mom sent me this email to me for mother's day and I wanted to share it. Thanks mom, I love you!
I think I'm going to use the same title as the woman in the story next time I'm asked!

A woman, renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk 's office was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation. She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself. 'What I mean is, ' explained the recorder, 'do you have a job or are you just a ...?'

'Of course I have a job,' snapped the woman. 'I'm a Mom.'

'We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation, 'housewife' covers it,' Said the recorder emphatically.

I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall. The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient, and possessed
of a high sounding title like, 'Official Interrogator' or 'Town Registrar.' 'What is your occupation?' she probed.

What made me say it? I do not know. The words simply popped out. 'I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations.

'The clerk paused, ball -point pen frozen in m midair and looked up as though she had not heard right. I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written, in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

'Might I ask,' said the clerk with new interest,'just what you do in your field?' Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply, 'I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't) In the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out.) I'm working for my Masters, (first the Lord and then the whole family) and already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money.'

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered me to the door. As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants -- ages 13, 7, and 3. Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby) in the child development program, testing out a new vocal pattern I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than 'just another Mom.'

Motherhood! What a glorious career!
Especially when there's a title on the door.

Does this make grandmothers 'Senior Research associates in the field of Child Development and Human Relations' and great grandmothers' Executive Senior Research Associates?'
I think so!!! I also think it makes Aunts Associate Research Assistants.'

Want a good read for Mother's Day? Go here to read a fantastic talk about women by Sheri Dew back in 2001.
Hope everyone has a fantastic day!

6 comments:

Anon said...

Jen, I love you and hope that you have an amazing Mothers Day. I am so glad to have found you again! So mushy I know but it is true.

Becky said...

Happy Mother's Day Jen. No need to send anything...you're friendship is gift enough. All together now...Awwww....

kara jayne said...

Love that story! It was great to see you last week. Remind Laura that I still want those notes she took in the parenting class!

Happy Mother's day!

Angie said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!!! I loved that story. Any time a questionaire asks for my occupation, I write "Domestic Goddess".

Staci said...

Can I take Meg's present!! JK!!

Heather Ann said...

hey girl! Whenever your in town definitely come see us, we could have you over for a BBQ, how fun would that be??!? So let me know!