Tuesday, June 3, 2008

One of those Days

We've all had them - those days where nothing seems to go your way. A comedy of errors if you will. And most likely there will be others. So please, let me share my day today. Let me preface this with the fact that Jeff has been gone since Saturday afternoon to a week long Sales meeting, so life is a little crazier than usual around here. Fortunately he's only an hour away. Anyway, last night I decided to stay up a little later than usual to watch some TV (finally I had the remote all to myself!) I thought it wouldn't be a big deal since all the girls had been sleeping in lately, and so of course I could too, except for the fact that Sarah decided to wake up at 5:45 this morning for an hour or so. So much for sleeping in, thank goodness for Diet Coke.

Then after she and I went back to sleep for an hour we all woke up. It was pouring rain outside, so I thought I would walk on the treadmill and get a little exercise. So I did and then went to get in the shower. Turned it on, let it run for a minute or two. Still cold. Let it run for another minute. STILL COLD! So I went in the basement to see water running out of the water heater. Not so good! So I had to take a very quick cold shower - thank goodness for hats. I wasn't about to stick my head under freezing cold water. Then of course at the exact moment I had to take the girls to school the heaviest part of the rain storm hit. Good thing the doors aren't too far away from the drop off - I ran them up to the doors, ran back to the car to find Emilie left the sliding door open.

Since it was pouring I decided to come home from dropping the girls off and let Sarah have a good nap and I would actually accomplish something today. So I put together the bookshelf we bought for the girls for the basement. I was so proud of myself I got it all put together, even nailed to back of it on. I stood it up and here it is

Yes it's true, it put the sides on backwards. ARGH! I was so careful to put the top and bottom on the right way and completely ignored the fact I was putting the sides on the wrong way. Why can't they just finish both sides so it doesn't matter which way they go? So I now am working on pulling out all the nails and unscrewing the sides without completely destroying the thing. I'm starting to think it would be much easier to just go buy a new one for $18.

The good news of the day - Jeff did come home for the evening to help sort out the water heater situation and just to be with us. If all goes as planned (unlike anything today!), 12 hours from now we shall have hot water again. Sing HALLELUJAH!

4 comments:

Harmoni said...

Good thing you got the hot water working. Me likey.. Don't you just love how those days go. At least we can sit back and have a great laugh!! Lots more laughs to have in 13 days!!!

Love ya
Harm

Anonymous said...

Nothing better than that freezing shock first thing in the morning!!! and then no husband to fix what is broken!!! Been there, done that!!! except at my house those thing came in 3's - like th furnace going out and my washer dying and then the water heater - So see what you have to look forward to!!! Enjoy the moment!
Love you -
Sharon
P.S. Harm and Parker are so excited for their adventure - I hope you all survive!

Becky said...

Finished edges on bookshelves are HIGHLY overrated. :)

Heather Ann said...

Why is it when the husbands leave ya need them the most? I'm glad you made it through, and good job on the shelf thing ya put together, I've done the same thing before, put it together wrong, which is the reason why I HATE putting things together, mostly because I HATE reading directions... So you can see where I can get things messed up! :)