and hopefully a Healthy New Year!
It seems like every other post I've done for the last few months I've made mention of someone in our house being sick. So why should I stop the trend now?
It really all started on Monday. I stated that I thought we were over the yuck we had been spreading to each other. We'll not so much - just a different yuck this time. When Sarah woke from her nap on Monday I went in to get her to find her, her pillow and sheet covered in throw up. It was almost time to leave for the doctor (which I was taking her in just for her cough before this!) so I quickly gave her a bath and changed her clothes. On the way to the doctor she threw up again and of course I didn't think to bring extra clothes. So she went to the doctor nice and smelly! Sarah had to see the nurse practitioner and she said her lungs sounded clear and that she just had the stomach flu. I wasn't convinced about her cough being nothing, but I didn't push it because I wanted to get home and get her and I changed out of our smelly clothes (I stunk from carrying her). Sarah threw up one more time on the way home from the doctor's and that was thankfully the last time. By Tuesday she was feeling much better - but she still had the cough. More on that in a minute.
Wednesday I got a call from Jeff about 11:30 am that he would be home shortly and was headed to bed because his stomach wasn't feeling well. A few times during the day Emilie complained that her tummy hurt. Long story short - Jeff was sick with the stomach yuck, but never threw up, just had that other stuff (you know what I mean). By 8:00 pm I started to feel it coming on. We do the 12 days of Christmas to someone every year of course it was the last night of 12 days, but neither Jeff or I were up to going out - so I have to give a shout out to our Home Teacher for coming by and taking it for us! Your the best! Then at 9:45 pm Emilie jumped out of bed and threw up in the bathroom sink. My stomach was already in bad shape with the other stuff and it almost made me throw up cleaning it up. I'm just grateful she made it to the sink! TMI yet? It gets better.
Jeff slept with Emilie and Ada just incase Emilie threw up again - which she did 3 times during the night (but somehow through it all she was spared from the other stuff!). I had Sarah in bed with me because she has been waking up coughing so much. She started stiring at one point and I reached over to get her and realized her diaper had leaked a bit (stomach sleeper!) so I decided to get up and change her. I went in her room and changed her diaper. Just as I got her new diaper on I felt like I was going to pass out. So I grabbed Sarah off the changing table who was still asleep and ran in the bathroom. Set her on the floor, got on the toilet for the one and started throwing up in the bathtub for the other. Gratefully after the night that was the end of the throwing up - but not quite for the other stuff for
Jeff and I.
By the moring all of us, but Ada, were wiped out. It was quite the Christmas morning! I got a few pictures, but not many. I was way too tired. Somehow still came even at the risk of catching the yuck. Ada earned the gold star of the day. She handed out presents to all us sicklies to open.
Sarah with her Pedialyte pop
Ada and Emilie
Yep - that is me. Sadly that was probably my best side that day.
Then Ada helped out with Sarah most of the day. I kept forgetting to feed the poor child because no one else felt like eating. Our Christmas day muchies constisted of otter pops, gatorade and some saltine crackers. She had breakfast, but then I think the rest of the day she just had some snacks. By 5:00 pm she said "I'm STARVING! Could you please fix me something to eat?!" Like I said - gold star!
It wasn't exactly how I planned Christmas, but it will definitely be a memorable one!
By yesterday evening we were all feeling much better and we finally sat down together and had our first meal in 48 hours. Waffles, hashbrowns and cooked ham. And honestly it tasted so good! It was nice to have some real food. I think I can confidently say that we are all over the stomach yuck and as for now Ada has been spared.
Sarah is a different story when it comes to being over everything. I took her back to the doctor on Friday because her cough had gotten worse. She is now back on the nebulizer until Tuesday (she was put on one after her and I got home from our SL visit a little over a month ago) and two medicines. One to clear up her nose and the other to help with the cough. The poor girl! But she is taking it in stride and is good to take her medicine and sit still turing her treatments. I knew she was really tired today and I was trying to get everyone lunch and then get her up for a nap and as I finished making my sandwich I turned around to find this:
Gotta love her!
I'm not a big NY resolution person - but I now have one:
To quit posting about someone in this family being sick!
On a side note - we had looked into going to Utah Christmas day or the day after but it just wasn't in the cards. But between illness and weather I don't think we would have made it anyway. We had rain that froze, so the morning after Christmas everything was a sheet of ice. Many on the highways were shut down - the whole toll road across Indiana was shut down. Accidents everywhere and hundreds of flights cancelled. There was even a plane at Midway airport that ran off the runway trying to take off. Craziness!! Then last night we had pouring rain and thunder and lightening. The kind we get during the spring and summer (if you haven't experienced a midwest thunder and lightening storm - you are missing out!) and then more rain today. There are flood watches out all over the state.
All I can say is this has been one interesting Winter break and there is still a week to go! We'll see what happens next!
8 comments:
Oh Jen! That is a bummner! Luckly it passes fast. Last weekend our family had it. Dr told us it was going around.
Hope everyone feels better!
Oh my word! Hugs all around and bless Ada's heart!
Well Merry freakin Christmas to you!!!! Oh lady I am so very sorry I hope you are all doing better. Sure love ya!!
Oh that really stinks!!!!! I am so sorry about your sick Christmas. I remember having the flu a couple of times on Christmas day.....not so much fun. Your a trooper to hang in there!
I am so sorry. That is a Christmas NIGHTMARE! I'm sure you'll never forget the barf-out of '08.
oh Jen I feel for ya.. If you recall your experience was MY THANKSGIVING! EVERYONE got the stomach flu for thanksgiving break (except for me) someone was looking out for me as getting that flu bug when your pregnant is so much worse.. But thanks for the descriptiveness on the throwing up, I think I'll go barf now! UGH! I tell ya just the thought of it makes me quizzy, thank goodness kelly is such a MAN and is the one that always cleans it up, as I just don't have the stomach for it!
I Hope you guys have a better week off, maybe its a sign - you've been sick so much, COME BACK HOME! :)) hehehe..
It sounds like it can only get better - Where is the clorox cleaner when you need it? I hope you are all doing much better!
Love you -
Oh my goodness! What a terrible way to spend Christmas! Hope you all are on the mend by now. That little Sarah Marjorie is so cute--can't believe how big she is. We thought of you as we stopped at Midway airport on our way back to D.C. Someday we'll have to make a real stop in Chicago. xo
Post a Comment